Wednesday, June 10, 2009

At First Sight

It was a Friday evening, and I had had a long day at work. As usual, I was staring out of the window of the van on the way back home. The traffic, quite predictably, was slow moving. MG Road, the hep and happening place, looked quite bleak. Even Floyd playing in my ears couldn’t cheer me up.

Through the small gap between my bus and the pavement barrier slipped in a bike. And there she was. The most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. There she sat, hugging her favourite man. Such pretty eyes, innocence overflowing like the sweet aroma of sunflowers on a lovely bright day. As I looked at her, our eyes met. The small lock of hair across her eyes added to the beauty. There was something about her that was just so pure. I couldn’t help smiling as I looked into her eyes.

She saw me smiling, and turned away. And as I looked on, a few moments later, she turned back to look at me. I looked into her eyes again, and then squinted. I waved at her, and to my surprise, she waved back! A small smile appeared on the corner of her lips. As the traffic started moving, she patted her favourite man on the back, and I heard her say, in her six year old cuteness, “Pappa, still how much longer to meet Mamma?”

No comments: