Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Blood"y scared rats

So I was sitting in the cafeteria and talking to the boys during lunch. Considering the preparations going on around us, the obvious topic of discussion was blood donation. In a moderately advertised campaign, my company has organized a blood donation camp at my campus today.

Basu was quite understandably weary about the whole thing. “The only time I’ve had blood sucked out of me is for the medical test before this job”, he said. I could understand his concern, seeing that he comes from the remote Gulbarga. I explained to him, that it’s a good thing, not only in the sense that it can save lives, but also that it’s good for one’s own health too. He said, “But I’m scared of the needle. It might hurt”, to which I responded with a laugh, and the taunt nudging Subbu “Check it out, this guy’s tensed about needles, when he can save the life a patient on a death bed.” Sheepishly,

Subbu laughs, and proceeds to mumble “Actually, even I’m scared. What if they use the same needles that they use of others? The needles might be infected.” I couldn’t believe my ears. I told him that they use new dispovan needles evertime, and he goes on to amaze me further, adding, “Yeah I know, but there have been cases of even those being infected…”

Three words came to my mind. “What the Fuck?” I can imagine a guy from a rural district being ignorant about such things, but hep ‘dude’ guys from Mysore, who are always very confident and in control when taking Basu’s trip! I was shocked.

And then, Sughosh adds, “Even in barber shops, it’s quite risky.” Subbu adds, “Yeah. That’s why I never let him use blade. I always ask him to use the electric clipper.” That’s it, I couldn’t take the shocks anymore! I got up from the table after informing them, “In clippers, the barber uses the same blades on everyone. Forget AIDS, several skin diseases can get transferred to you. Infact, razor blades are a lot more safe, because they use new blades evertime, and if you tell them, they wash it with dettol water.

Boy am I glad the “half-dude” scared rats did not have an effect on Basu. He just pinged me and said he wants to join me to donate blood.

5 comments:

mirror mirror on the wall said...

well sometimes knowing a little can cause a lot of harm------- thats what i guess happened with some friends. they would have heard some half baked stuff about infected needles and it must have got settled in their brains that even dispovan needles can get infected--------
sad! cause giving blood is a good thing esp for guys
both physically and to help someone who really needs it

Unknown said...

dude..did u ever seen a mother who lost her 11yr old daughter cuz of someone's careless??? i have seen..i have seen to knw the pain..my teacher lost her kid cuz of AIDS thru infected needle..probably u dont knw the effect of it..and if i see anyone donating blood or going to the barber shop i'l def say "tak care or be careful"..i don feel anythin wrong abt it..i really appreciate ur mentality to help others but STILL..its jus ppl's opinion rite??

-sindhu

Sanky said...

Infact, I DO know the effect of it all.And I DO know the importance of life. And that is precisely why I wrote this post. Donating blood is as safe as getting an injection at a hospital to cure your own sickness. When you don't hesitate to take an needle prick at hosp to cure your own health, I feel you can, once in a while, take a prick to save another life.

By the way, have you seen an accident victim dying in the hosp cos they did not have enough blood to give him?If you had, I think you would get the importance of donating blood.

About the barber shop, if you notice, I just said that clippers are more unsafe than fresh new blades. So saying that telling the barber to use clippers(which he uses on everyone without disinfecting) is safer than using fresh new blades disinfected by dettol, is an ignorant statement.

Oh, I do not have a problem that some people don't want to donate blood. That, I agree, is their opinion. But what CANNOT be taken as opinion, is their idea about why blood donation is not safe!!I repeat, Blood donation is as safe as getting an injection at a hospital for your own disease. This is a FACT, and facts can't be subject to opinion.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

See i don c ny reason y shld u ve such a prejudice tat donating blood is the ONLY WAY u save a life.
Agreed that u wan to give blood, i relly appreciate ur deed..But tis doesn't call for a fact tat I shld lso do it, cos i ve a phobia.
U do ur part to the society tis way i ld do it other way.As i ve told u i don ve to say or have a propaganda of wot i do.. I do it for my satisfaction, for my contentment.
Next thing is i was entitled to my opinion and i din stop o influence nyone giving blood. I think i had made it clear"i don wan to give" cos o preconceived
notion u might call.
@ mirror - Ok i agree my knowledge abt tis is a drop in the ocean.I think on the basis i ve read , i ve seen , i ve heard things happening around my life. I say things wit the same confidence u say these things r half baked o woteva, cos even u don ve proof to prove yo opinion.Its jus wot u think.

I wld appreciate if u go through the link below .

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/gujarat-government-probes-rolefirms-in-syringe-scam/350497/

Again i'm not provin an axiom o nythin its my personal choice.
Even i know giving blood is NOBLE.
FYI i ve given couple o times during my college. I was scared abt all that piercing and al so i was reluctant and to add these news i read n heard.