Thursday, July 15, 2010

Assaulted on road

On the way to office this morning, I overtook a Tata Sumo taxi from the left because of the heavy traffic. This obviously didn't go well with the driver, who chased me down and hit my bike's exhaust from the back. Nothing happened to my bike, but his front bumper got damaged. At the signal (Devegowda petrol bunk), I stopped next to him and asked him what's wrong with him.(Yaake guru, nodkond oodsakkaagalva??) . He started abusing me with a full flow of vocabulary. I'm usually the kind of guy who'd give back in equal measure, but today I was relaxed and calm, and had to reach office early.
I left him to rant on and proceeded once the signal was green. I thought that was the end of it, but the driver had other plans. He chased me down, and jammed me towards the divider. I screeched to a halt, and was just about to ride through, when I saw him whip out a wooded rod. He continued his verbal abuse about me overtaking from the left. I tried to move back and note the phone number listed on taxis in case of rash driving. He zipped back in reverse to stop me from noting the number. I made a mental note of the license plate number and tried to ride ahead, when he swung the rod at me. I stopped suddenly, and he missed and hit his own car. Now he was even more angry, because of the dent caused due to his own actions. I tried to ride ahead and escape, he swung the broked rod at me again and hit me on my helmet and upper back.
I stopped by the side of the road and got down to call the police emergency number (100). I dialled 080100 from my cell, but it didn't get through. Then I dialled 100, and that didn't get through either. I was taking out a few coins to dial from a pay phone nearby, when he came down and hit me twice more with his rod. I told him to wait for a couple of minutes after which I'd talk to him. Meanwhile, a group of people gathered and started surrounding him and abusing him for what he did. I meanwhile dialled 100 from the payphone, and surprise surprise! It just kept ringing. I kept the phone down and turned to go and note the rash driving complaint number on the car, when I saw him zip away with an auto chasing him.
As I calmed down, I realized that a police complaint would not hold ground - I had a slightly sore upper back, but no bruises to show. My bike was perfectly intact, not even a scratch. And his car had a broken bumper and a dent on the side door. I just came back to the office and checked the license plate number. I have the owner's name but no contact number. I don't think I can do much about it now. Any suggestions?
The license plate number is: KA05AA3112

4 comments:

SpankMac said...

WTF? This is bloody insane! What kind of a crazy lunatic would react like that, man?

What about calling the complaint no. you noted down?

And any chance you took down some witnesses' contacts? Even if not, I suggest you file a complaint. The guy is bound to pay for this.

SpankMac said...

I'm glad you're okay, though. Thank goodness this was in daylight and in the presence of other people.

Such assholes should just be shot. No doubt about it.

m b nataraj said...

Hi Simply Sanky,
Terrible bunch of rowdies on road. Auto drivers and call centre drivers are basically goondas-like politicians- who cannot find any other way to earn a living. They bring the goondaism to the roads leaving road rage to take over civility and common sense. Please go to this link and file a complaint. http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/Complaints.htm
send a copy of that complaint to additional commissioner of police at addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com . Also go to http://125.17.140.50/BPSFineDetails/BPSFineDetails.aspx# check if that fellow has any violations and include that in the report.

Sanky said...

@Tejas
I couldn't note the complaint number dude..He was whacking me with the rod! There were not many witnesses, except for a few auto drivers and a few cars which drove by.
I did make a few calls through some people I know. I hope something has been done about this.

@NAT:
Thanks a ton for the info! I have lodged the complaint and mailed it to the ACP as well. The vehicle didn't show violations except for a parking fine, but I don't think that list's ok. I put own bike number and nothing showed up, though I've been fined for signal jump twice by cops with Blackberrys!