Friday, August 6, 2010

Assaulted on road - The payback

As you know, I was assaulted on road the other day by a foul mouthed cab driver. After that incident, everyday, I was looking at the number plate of every white Sumo driving by. Somehow, I had a feeling in the back of my mind that I'd meet this guy again.

This Monday, on the way back from office, I found the same taxi just ahead of me, at exactly the same signal where the incident had taken place(Devegowda Petrol Bunk). I knew I would stop him and confront him, but I had to figure out how, and what I wanted to do with him. There was quite some heavy traffic, and I just followed him along the ring road. I decided that my aim was to make him realize that he can't just swing weapons at people on the road and get away with it. I didn't want to lodge a police complaint against him, because I knew it would spoil his life(Either he'd lose his job and ruin his life, or he'd get out the police station with the influence of his bosses which would give him even more confidence that he rules the roads).

So, as I followed him, it turned out that he was taking the exact same route I take. He turned from the main road into a lane usually taken to avoid the traffic. The road being empty here, I moved to the right side and asked him to stop the vehicle. He didn't recognize me initially, and asked my why. I told him "Neede thane avattu rod nalli nange hoddiddu? Gaadi nilsu, maathadona" (You were the one who hit me with the rod the other day right? Stop the vehicle, let's talk), like I just wanted to calmly talk to him. He said, "Yeeenu?Yavattu? A**an yaaro neenu??(What?! When?? Who the f**k are you??). As he said that, he recognized me and sped away. I was in no hurry to stop him. A Sumo in narrow roads is no match for a Pulsar. I calmly followed him, as he tried to get away through the roads. And then, he made his second mistake(The first was to hit me the other day :P). He ended back on to the main road, heading towards Devegowda petrol bunk. With the amount of traffic, I easily went to the right side and told him to stop. He went on his verbal rampage again, which is when I told him I'd call the cops if he doesn't stop. He slowed down and stopped. I parked my bike in front of the car so that he can't get away and asked him to get down.

He got down, rushed to me and started shouting that it was my mistake the other day and so on. I went and noted the rash driving complaint numbers and started dialling it. His tone changed so drastically, I swear I thought he underwent a sex change right then. His whole body language became feminie as he pleaded me not to call the number. He asked me to hit him back and call it even. I told him that if I wanted to do that, I'd have done it the other day itself, with his own rod! But that would make me no different than him. The first complaint number I called, he dared me to call the cops and kept the phone. The second number was answered by the drivers brother in law, who was clearly worried. He asked me not to call the cops, that he'd come there to talk. I called a couple of my friends to come for support, as I realized that the driver was calling all his pals for muscle backup. I then proceeded to torment the driver. I told him that I'd make sure that his license is cancelled. There was immediate fear in his eyes. I flicked out my phone and took snaps of the vehicle's number plate and complaint numbers etc as he was pleading, the then pointed the camera at him. He covered his face and asked me whey I'm taking his photo. I told him that I write for Bangalore Mirror, and that I'd get it published in the paper, so that all the employees who travel in his cab will know. That's when his eyes started to become red. He put his palm on my shoulder as tried to calm me down, and I could feel his arms shaking. The "Owner" came, and I explained to him that I intend to register a complaint. He took out his phone and called a few more people. Soon after that, the driver’s brother-in-law came and asked what had happened. After I explained to him, he started hitting the driver scolding him for not being responsible. After letting him hit a few times, I stopped him and told him that hitting is not the solution. Meanwhile, the driver's pals arrived - A group of about 7-8 guys. They stood around me in a circle, and started shouting at me. One of them told the driver to take the vehicle and go. I went and stood in front of the vehicle and asked him to get back down. He came down, and as I came back to the foot path, the gang again surrounded me. One guy asked what I intended to do, and I bluffed to him that I had to wear neck brace because he hit me, and that the bill was Rs.800. “Either we take this to the police station, or you give me the bill money, and I’ll go”. As I was talking, one of the guys drove away the vehicle. The others prevented me from stopping it. I turned around, and the driver had disappeared. My friends hadn't still come, and I realized I had to do something to move these guys away. I dialled 100 from my phone, and similar to last time, no response. I then dialled another emergency police control number: 1800-4250-100. After several rings, I was greeted by an automated voice which spoke so slowly, I thought I'd called an old age home. After a minute of "For English, press 1, Kannadakke eradannu otti", finally a guy answered the phone, and instead of asking what the problem was, he started asking me "Sir please tell me your name. Sir please tell me your address......", well you get the hang of it. I interrupted him and said loudly for everyone to hear "Police control room?". The guys who were shouting suddenly became quiet as I explained on the phone on what was happening. The cop started saying something, when a dud in the group thought he'd try some more intimidation. He said "Laaai, police ge phone maadtya? Police illi barakk munche ninge een aagbahudu gotta??"(You are calling the cops? Before the police comes where, do you what can happen to you??). The cop immediately asked me where I am and said he'd send someone over. As I kept the phone and looked up, half the guys had disappeared. The dud was still showing off his verbal provess, when Vatsa and Harish arrived on bike. These guys are regulars at gym, and were playing when I called them. So both of them looked quite like bouncers. Vatsa took off his helmet, and said "Eeen guru, een nin problem?"(Hey. What's your problem?). The dud suddenly dropped his tone and said "Illa saar aduuuu...."(Nooo siir.....nothing.....).

A police jeep rolled by on the opposite side and gestured to us. I walked across, and only one guy followed me. Everyone else disappeared! The cop asked me what happened, and after I explained, he asked me if I wanted to register a complaint. When I responded in the affirmative, he asked me to reconsider. He told the owner to give Rs.500 and asked me to finish the matter there. I realized that the cop was also there for the money, and that a complaint would just ensure that the cop gets paid a little more by the driver’s guys. I accepted the 500 bucks, said thank you, and was going on my way, when the cop called me back again and said, “Sir…Coffee..Tea?”. I gave him 50 bucks and he was quite pleased. The owner then gave him a couple of 100 rupee notes.

I returned back with my friends who cursed that the cops’ “standards” have stooped so low that they come in jeep for even 50 bucks. I returned home, satisfied that the driver would have realized that he can’t mess around on roads like he’s the lord of the town.
At the end of all this, looking back, I realized that for hitting me, he got beaten up twice(once by the public the day he hit me, again by his brother-in-law) and got tormented mentally by me threatening to spoil his life. I’m quite sure that he’ll not dare to take out the rod again, except maybe for defense.

I, on the other hand, ended up with a slight sprain in the neck, and 500 bucks more in the wallet! And of course, the satisfaction that justice was done.

No comments: